Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Cup Runneth Over at Alice’s Tea Cup Chapter III – NYC


Where in this city of sky-high prices and matching skyscrapers can you buy happiness for a measly $10?
A pot of tea and two of Alice’s famous scones (get pumpkin and strawberry chocolate) is the perfect study aid and did I mention that last time I was there the staff were supportive of me studying there for 2 hours? I asked the host what the time limit was (1.5 hours) but he made it clear that they wouldn’t kick me out unless they were full.

My best memory here was when, after a long cold NYC winter, my friend Alex and I decided to bring some sunshine to the upper east side the first day it hit 70 degrees. We decided to physically BE the sunshine by wearing sundresses. Though honestly, if you know my friend Alex, her company alone is all the sunshine you could possibly need.

My other fave:
The cumin carrots sandwich made even me, a girl who doesn’t like carrots, want to smack my lips and say “Ehhhh….what’s up doc?”
Side note: My life’s goal if I land a residency in a Manhattan hospital is to buy these sandwiches for my group, and recite Bugs Bunny’s signature phrase after everyone has taken a bite. Those who laugh will be my new best friends. Speaking of Looney Tunes, did anyone else read on wikipedia that they’re doing new episodes again starting this May? Is anyone as excited as I am? If anyone as excited as I am but way too embarrassed to admit it?

Conclusion: While studying at Alice’s, indulge in sophisticated scones where each scone constitutes a moist but crumbly, just sweet enough but not too sweet to call itself a scone meal, hot but refreshing hint-o-mint Casablanca tea, and if you’re hungry a tea egg salad or roasted cumin carrots sandwich. So if you crave a pinky-curling study session or a gossip in summer dresses retreat, sit down at Alice’s – they’ll give you the time to savor every bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment