Saturday, April 9, 2011

Brookline Bites at Cafe Stoli - Brookline


The Table: The funnest (is that a word?) table I’ve ever had is at Café Stoli, and yes, it is worth the trek to Brookline Village to sit here. Why you ask? Read on…

The Chairs: This high-back red booth is ensconced at the middle of this minute restaurant and its two seats wrap around to face the window to the street. Perfect for the Dixie Chicks who love wide open spaces (that’s an old country song for those who are too young to get the reference) and ideal for those who love watching people walk by/interact and making up their conversations “Date Night” style.

The Soup: My first taste of borscht will not be my last. It’s the Russian take on mom’s tomato-soup-and-grilled-cheese-after-sledding. Makes sense considering the weather in Russia (which I sadly cannot see from my house). Except mom’s tomato soup was never bland…

The Salad: Never in a million years would I have expected to fall in love with the salad. The baby argula is crisp and bitter and the flavor is enhanced by salt, pepper, and maybe some oil and lemon juice (?). It’s so simple but it may be the best salad I’ve had this year...no flavorless-water-they-call-iceberg-lettuce served here!

The Meat and Potatoes: My one sticking point here was the presentation of the food. I can’t tell if it’s totally baller or totally retirement home/a-clean-plate-is-a-happy-plate when you’re 5 years old. In all fairness, it is pretty ballsy to divide a plate into 3 sections and serve mashed potatoes, zucchini and carrots, and beef stroganoff separately – there’s no hiding flaws here, and honestly, I couldn’t find a single flaw, especially with the beef stroganoff.

The Verdict: “Less is more” seems to be the theme at Café Stoli but all I want is MORE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment