Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An American in Paris Creperie - Brookline

I’m fighting the urge to give this place an extra star for the amusingly entertaining display at the table next to mine. How this family crawled out of their trailer and into a creperie escapes me, but it made my day to hear a woman (with her two young children!) shout “HAHA I spilled water on your crotch dad so now it looks like you peed on yourself!” Did I mention that “dad” was in his 60s? Charming. Her children have an excellent role model.
Appetizer tangent before the entrees: This woman looked exactly like Tanya Harding with curlier hair. Due to my love and immense working knowledge of figure skating, I kept my knees tucked securely under the table, refrained from making eye contact with her and had my friend get our silverware just in case the baby’s rattle she was holding was a cleverly disguised hammer…too soon?
Sadly, Tanya Harding & co failed to improve the flavor of the tragically mediocre crepes so this place gets only 3 stars but is nonetheless recommended as a reasonably priced fun place to take your Francophile friends when visiting Brookline.

Crepes:
Asian Peking – Jasmine rice my a$$! It’s just regular white rice. Which is fine. Really. It’s not a big deal, I like regular white rice. But don’t lie! Geez…
Not enough hoisin sauce but the duck meat is good and it’s fun if you’re craving non-sesame chicken Chinese food but suffer from duckophobia. (Duckophobia = my personal coined term for irrational fear of Chinatown exacerbated by hanging ducks). I really should start a foodfreelancer dictionary for all my made-up terms and adjectives. Would you buy a copy if I did?
Lox & Eggs – If you like smoked salmon and you’re in the mood for something breakfast-y or brunch-y and hot, this really hits the spot. And chances are, it’s cheaper than what a diner or brunch restaurant would charge for lox. I was pretty happy…
Lemon & Sugar – BIG YUM! I prefer plain sugar but the lemon is a nice touch, especially if you’re the person who squeezes multiple lemon wedges into every glass of sweet tea (guilty!). It’s not the best crepe I’ve ever had, but who’s really going to top Paris, Grasse, Avignon, and Monaco?

I wouldn’t come back here, probably because it’s not worth the trek out to Brookline for me personally. But you should…if a crepe craving hits you. Maybe you’ll catch an even more amusing show than I did.

1 comment:

  1. If I had $ I totally would buy that book.

    As a fellow nonveg, I am perplexed by your duckophopia.

    ReplyDelete