Wednesday, April 13, 2011

M is for Mediocre at Metropolis - Boston


The best way to describe this place is comfort food for foodies. Come here for the well-made classics, like the steak or scallops entree. 

Details:
The mussels appetizer had a slightly tangy, smooth sauce – this is the closest to the Mediterranean theme that I saw from this place (see below)
The entrees were good, but ordinary, as in been done, but then again, good will always be good; However, it’s the side dishes that showcase the chef’s attention to detail, which was a pleasant surprise. If I remember correctly, the whipped potatoes had a truffle flavor to them, which made an otherwise ordinary side into something flavorful that I couldn’t stop eating. I ate all of the whipped potatoes on my plate, which I almost never do, especially when they accompany something as rich as hanger steak (which was a lovely pink medium rare). The scallops were also perfectly seared, and both dishes were nicely plated. Presentation seems to be a lost art in Boston, but it seems that Metropolis may have found it.

If I ever come back here (not likely), I'd love to try their risotto - so few restaurants, North End included, can make it properly, and this seems like a place that has perfected the classics. Let me know how it is if you try it before I do!


One major thing that prevented this place from getting a higher rating from me is that I couldn’t see the Mediterranean inspiration, which is irksome from a self-proclaimed Mediterranean bistro. (It says so on their website, just check.) I also wanted a bit more creativity – I shied away from the prix fixe meal (which is a good deal) because I couldn’t get excited about the mundane salad appetizers.



No comments:

Post a Comment