Thursday, June 13, 2024

Duck House - Monterey Park

Alright, so going to Bistro Na first was a mistake. Duck House is a more traditional type of Peking duck provider, with its slightly greasy tables and short but spiffy service. 


We reserved just the Peking Duck, which requires a phone call at least an hour in advance. I thought that this was to give them time to cook the duck, but after watching my server take the plastic wrap off a plate of scallion, cucumber, and hoisin sauce, I wasn't so sure. The duck came skillfully sliced, but a bit on the lukewarm side rather than steaming hot. 


That said, the skin still had its crunch, and the meat was tender, and so it all rolled into some pretty tasty pancakes. It was good enough for us to eat the entire plate, and that's good enough for me. 


We opted to pay a little extra for the duck two ways, the second being this plate of stir fried Bean Sprouts. Plenty of flavor, nice and crisp, not at all overcooked. 

I can't help but compare it to Bistro Na but I don't think I should. This duck is very much what you'd expect from a normal restaurant, and it's a very satisfying meal. It’s a lot less greasy and it's easier to eat more, but it's only a bit more affordable - the price difference is less than $20. I'm happy to have tried this duck and I'd be happy to eat it again, but I think I'd rather pay a bit more for the better service and luxury of Bistro Na. 

No comments:

Post a Comment