Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Rolling Zone Creamery - Lawndale

Finally, a local spot for locals. Lawndale doesn't have too much in the way of walkable places, but the drive here is short and the parking is always open. 

They specialize in rolled ice cream, a trend from Thailand that didn't last long down here. I suspect it's because most places that make rolled ice cream never learned to make it well. It wasn't until I got to Rolling Zone that I actually realized I love it. 


Their best is still Banana Pudding, it tastes like the real thing but even better. Real bananas are gooey with an occasional Nilla wafer crunch. It rivals the best stuff from the south.  


The Coffee Break is great, like an even creamier latte. The caramel and toffee make it even better. 


Wild Mango is my least favorite because it's more cream than mango - I had hoped for a little more tartness and fruit. 


Rocky Road is the real deal - they even top it off with a hand-torched marshmallow. 


I think my favorite is S'More for the crunchy graham crackers and mix of nutella. 

So this is what rolled ice cream is supposed to taste like. After years of disappointment, I finally found a place that got it right. If you've been lukewarm about rolled ice cream in the past, do give Rolling Zone a chance before you write it off entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment