Thursday, May 30, 2024

Heng Heng Chicken Rice - Hawthorne

CALL AHEAD. They have 3 tables and your fried food is fresh so it's quite a wait with no seating if you're just going for a pick-up. I didn't do any of that, but I can honestly say I didn't mind the 30 minutes I spent in my car in this seedy-looking strip mall on a Friday night.


My favorite was probably the Fried Chicken Rice, just golden chunks of the good stuff over a big bed of garlic rice. The meats are great, but the rice puts them on the map. The flavor is so savory it's practically pure chicken broth...with oh so much sweet garlic. Don't bother eating here if you don't love garlic.


The regular Hainan Chicken Rice is among the best I've had. I barely tolerate the blanched stuff, but they didn't blanch the flavor out of these meaty marvels, and I would absolutely get this again. 


Crispy Pork is an alternative to chicken, but I do think the chicken is better. The garlic noodle is a nice chow mein iteration, but I still prefer the rice. 

There's a crew of sweet, hard-working people slinging some pretty fantastic chicken out of this small hole-in-the-strip-mall, and Heng Heng Chicken Rice fits into the casual South Bay food scene nicely. The prices are good for quite a lot of food, and the food is even better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment