Thursday, February 9, 2023

Pinwheel Bakery - Torrance

There are a few for-real French bakeries in the South Bay, but I never did think I'd find one that served real Escargot. 

Get 'em at Pinwheel - they'll make them at any hour! Seriously, I asked around 8 AM and they offered. Without judgement. 


They're alright escargot. Plenty of butter, no shortage of garlic. Not the best I've had, but as good as any cafe in the streets of Paris. 


Best when washed down with French Onion Soup. Also not the best I've had, but also a perfectly fine broth with a handful of onion and plenty of bread bits. The compulsory gruyere crust is there as well. 


They also do plenty of quiches and a variety of sandwiches. My fave (and only) so far is the Brie Sandwich, with apples and arugula stacked over slices of brie on a finger-thin ficelle. 

Of the breads, the Baguette is bomb. Crispy crust and a chewy center. The baguettine lacks the crust so go big or go home. 


But don't overlook the bread of the day either. I like the one with olives, but the one with dates is divine. 


The pastries are pretty great. Flake away the layers of a barely-sweet Kouign Amann,


or opt for a classic Apple Turnover. Caneles are drizzled with honey, and every fourth one is free. 


The Apple Tart is cute but pricey. 


Like 'em all, love 'em all, but you're it's the scones where they really shine. Plenty of flavors; lemon lavender, cranberry orange, blueberry, blahblahblah. Skip straight to the Fig and Honey Scone because it is the best baked good. Ever. Anywhere. 

I love Crossroads shopping center because everything is there, but good stuff tends to get buried, especially amongst the flashier fronts like Whole Foods or Lunasia. Pinwheel is tucked into a corner and won't win over Sidecar, but it's always been my pick when I'm craving a great taste of France.

No comments:

Post a Comment