Saturday, January 8, 2022

Truth BBQ - Houston, TX

Everyone has a pandemic vice, and not all of them are bad. Covid has created many a sommelier, I'm sure, and for others it's a healthy new hobby like hiking or an anxiety-alleviator like gardening or crochet. 

My vice is a map of mail-order barbecue from legends such as Snow's and staples such as Truth. 



We get a bit of a sampler, and as usual, start with some Sausage. This casing has a real snap to it, the most pop of any I've had. That meat is juice-dripping so revel in those rivulets of liquid pork. Goes good with some of their semi-sweet Stay Gold Mustard. 


Racking up some points are the Truth Ribs, tender outside and crimson within. Strong smoke, though they do have to be torn off the bone with very little force. I dig this rib rub, but smearing a little of the OG BBQ Sauce on top will do. It's a thin sweet-water, and it gives that black pepper seasoning a little lift. 

The White Lightnin' sauce is as it sounds; about as thick as it can get without becoming a solid, a ranch dressing where mayo subs for milk. Smear on just about anything for a rich hit of something smooth to balance out the smoke and salt. Pro tip: Spread some on a chicken biscuit-sandwich and the result is electric. 


Alright, I already like Truth, but my truth lies in the Brisket. A hard-packed pec of hulky heifer, a notoriously difficult cut, a challenge-accepted by the star pitmasters of the Lone Star State. Meat melts on the tongue under a gooey girdle of fusing fat as smoke permeates the palate.

Truth be told, I still prefer Snow's, but I don't know if I could easily pick a favorite if I compared them side by side. Almost alike yet each with its own distinct and spectacular style. Same-same but oh-so different.

No comments:

Post a Comment