Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Terranea Thanksgiving Feast - Palos Verdes


What a whirlwind of a year. There's plenty to be thankful for, but the pandemic has brought out the worst in so many, and I expected better from Terranea. 


This time last year, I had just begun to feel like I could live again, and unboxing this top-dollar meal from Terranea took the stress out of Thanksgiving. I paid the same whopping $300 this year to relive that relief, and I cannot begin to describe the developing devastation with each item I unboxed. 


Starting with the stark Salad, a sad base of greens with a sprinkling of squash. It's a mere shadow of last year's lush mixed greens with rich rings of roasted acorn squash. 


The salad was worse, but the soup was better. Last year's complaint was no ginger and too much cream, and it's like they remembered my words. The Acorn Squash and Apple Bisque is strongly pungent, and the apple amplifies the acid to cut the cream.


The half-Turkey is just fine. Cider-brined, and highlighted by the wrinkles of the plastic bag it came in (my photography skills, I know), the meat is juicy and the skin has a little extra pop. Comes with a lovely cranberry compote that isn't too tart and a lackluster gravy that is a bit too bland.


The Whipped Yukon Potatoes are a heftier mash compared to last year's semi-solid. More garlic and more flavor all around, but last year it was two times more.


Sweet Potatoes are still not stellar, they're the same except there's some runny gray stuff with some sugar. 


The Brioche, Pear & Sausage Stuffing hits the spot. Less mushy in texture, savory and strong with a rosemary that can get overwhelming. 


Herb Roasted Vegetables. A colorful array of roasted root veggies last year, this year a full tray of...brussels sprouts. Seriously. Barely-seared sprouts cut in half with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. 


At least it ends with an award-winning Apple Pie. These apples are juicy and sweet with not much added sugar, and the crust is all I could ask for. Goes great with chocolate gelato. 

I was so in love with this meal last year, and I wanted to make that magic again, but this year I felt fleeced by this budget-cut, cut-corner meal. I know about inflation, and I know it's harder to get supplies, but you just can't sell a stingier set for the exact same price. The cuts were clear, not just in ingredients, but in the amount of effort as well, and on America's day of thanks, that's just not something I can be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment