Friday, December 24, 2021

Dim Sum King - El Monte


In the valley of little China that we call San Gabriel, Dim Sum King lives among the greats. Hailing from El Monte where shrimp hargow are literally a dime a dozen, you have to make an impression to survive. 

I've had a fair amount of SGV dim sum, and I can confirm that the King ranks among the nobles.  


They make my favorites, a flavorful Shrimp Hargow with a crystal wrapper that doesn't disintegrate.

Shu Mai are standard, porky and dense.


Taro Cake is rooty-tooty and pleasantly edible. The cake is soft enough to chew and firm enough to enjoy. 


Baked BBQ Pork Buns are fluffy and filled, topped with a sweet and shiny glaze.  


Shanghai Pork Soup Dumplings are tender and light, from the same source as all the others. 


The Beancurd Roll has a chewy wrapper to contrast the core of sauteed veg. 


Steamed Beef Balls are tender and moist, like they've been stewing in savory soup. 


Pan Fried Chive Cakes have a paper-thin shrink-wrap peel that adds some al dente to a moist dumpling filling. 


Sesame Balls are cracklin' classic with smooth red bean inside.

Standard dim sum, all well-done. I had a significant sampling, and not a single dish disappoints. I haven't tried as much SGV dim sum as I'd like, so I'd go elsewhere next time I have a craving. So although Dim Sum King wouldn't be my first choice, I'd circle back someday and be glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment