Thursday, June 24, 2021

Ike's Love and Sandwiches - El Segundo vs Long Beach


If sandwiches have a monarchy, Ike's is their benevolent king. A truly inclusive menu scatters largess for all, and their expansive menu promises one veggie or vegan for every two made of meat. 

I've only had the meat, but the non-meat are not to be overlooked. 


My first bite of Ike's was the Adam Richman. It's a chicken cordon bleu but so much better; fried chicken with clinging batter, glistening green pesto and avo coating honeyed ham.


I liked the Damon Bruce less, but I'd eat it anytime. It's a monumental munch with stacks of sliced steak and onion rings.


The Ménage a Trois is good if you like sauce. There's sauce and sauce and more sauce, and a whole lot of dirty sauce. I love their chicken with anything, but I don't have to have it with everything.




What this place needs is MORE MEATBALL. The Super Mario is a marvelous madness with stringy, melty mozzarella sticks with a kiss of marinara. 


Have some chicken-fried and cold beer on a Friday night. The Screaming Eagle is a southern best with bbq ranch and pepper jack.


They capitalize on the colors, honoring Kobe with his black and yellow. Purple slaw pumps up the beef, and I love the bbq on a slice of Swiss. 


It's called the Backstabber because it sneaks up on you. Acidic artichoke creeps up on an unsuspecting chicken-cheese with caesar, sweetening and amplifying something that sounds so boring, making it anything but.

It's so hard to live so far, but when El Segundo can't deliver, at least the Long Beach location keeps up. 

A direct comparison of the Adam Richmans (Richmen?) shows that like most things, they're better served fresh and hot. That said, the Long Beach version doesn't seem as quite as clean in the execution, same with the Super Mario and Menage a Trois. 



The Stephen Hawking is a new one, a stack of tender turkey with bacon, like a club sandwich dripping with orange glaze.

I don't love the Long Beach location like I love the El Segundo, but suffice it to say that I like Ike's. I like Ike's anywhere, and I like Ike's everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment