Saturday, February 2, 2019

Playa Hermosa Fish & Oyster - Hermosa Beach

WHAT? How did I not know about this place?! How did I go to freaking Palmilla and attempt to eat at Tower 12 and not know that this little house of awesomeness was RIGHT HERE?

Of all the places I've gone to on the pier, this is one of the best so far, tied for first with the pork shoulder at Hermosa Brewing. Hand-selected fresh seafood all day and all night, great service, and a surprisingly spectacular menu, especially for DineLA.


Oysters to start. Love 'em or hate 'em, an acquired taste...like me. I love these. A good amount of butter, a dash of brine. A great balance - I may have forgotten the variety, but I haven’t forgotten the flavor. 


I traded an oysters for a Peruvian Scallop. It's a disc of tender sweetness, smooth and pretty like the shell they serve it on.


The Albacore Tuna glows in a lake of ponzu. Citrus brightens, and a flash of Fresno chili cheese uplifts an airy, almost-buttery meat. Fried quinoa chips add a quick and delicate crunch.


Bacon asserts some savor and smoke in a Clam Chowder full of cream, loaded with chunks of chewy clams.

I can honestly count on one finger the number of times I’ve ever been impressed by Swordfish. This is the one. I hate swordfish - it’s steak-like in texture and turns into the texture of dried-out chicken breast if you so much as blink while you’re cooking. What Playa Hermosa did to theirs is witchcraft. I've never had swordfish this tender and juicy, and TBH I've never even had swordfish tender AND juicy at the same time. They season it just enough to bring out some buttery and savory notes too. I can’t believe this is swordfish - their chef is a genius. 


The main event: Maine lobster. My first Lobster Thermidor, a foolproof, fail-proof tail smothered in cheese. You really can't go wrong with that combination, and doesn't love some fresh tail?

I seriously can't believe this place. Best seafood in Hermosa so far, and I am coming back for more ASAP. Great place to chill and eat like a freaking king. 
Playa Hermosa Fish & Oyster Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment