Sunday, April 2, 2017

Simpang Asia - Culver City


The valet lost my car. Just HOW they managed to lose one of the five cars they parked in a lot that has less than 20 spaces is beyond me, but this was no ordinary FAIL. For starters, they placed my keys with the wrong ticket, and I wish I hadn't told them as much. Considering my car is legally an adult, this error might have earned me a free upgrade. 

Well, the nice thing about a small parking lot is that it's not so hard to spot my car. Found it! Except they didn't believe me so it took several minutes of arguing to convince them to shut up and test the keys.

They did eventually find my car, and despite the hassle from their private valets, I can't hold any of it against the restaurant. Major lapse of judgement in hiring, but that's where the subpar service stops. The staff are awesome, and there was not a single person who isn't smiling, not a single person who isn't genuinely happy to help. 


I'm very new at Indonesian food, but their Chicken Sate will put a smile on anyone's face. The chicken is tenderly grilled, and the peanut sauce is uniquely thick and sweet.


The Batagor is like nothing I've ever had, a street food that has managed to escape the mainstream. The chewy fried-tofu wrapper has a firm bean-curd texture, which soaks in more of their signature peanut sauce. If you don't like fish, you may want to look elsewhere, but here the fish makes the denser chicken finish light and sweet. A lot of different flavors in one place, but every flavor has its place.


I expect southeast Asian curries to be sweeter, but the Laksa is a different kind of sweet. The soup is yellow and thick, the texture of a concentrated coconut milk. The saccharine curry complements the shrimp that stews in it, and it beads upon each ropy yellow noodle.  


The Bihn Goreng Special lightens things up a little, with al dente rice noodles, fine strands of spice snaring chunks of shrimp and balls of beef and fish. The medium-level heat is cooled by a bit of crunchy cabbage and greens. Asian sausage adds its extra savor, and bits of egg keep the noodles moist.

The food delicious but you gotta have a car to put your leftovers in when you're ready to leave. There was not a single bite that didn't resonate and tingle, and just basking in the undeniable joy that permeates this place warmed me from the inside out. If my car had stayed lost, I would probably walk right back in to eat more. The food here is not to be missed, but it probably wouldn't hurt to try to park your own car and park it somewhere else.
Simpang Asia Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment