Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Din Tai Fung - Torrance


I've eaten in 4 DTF's, in two different countries and I still don't get it. The Hong Kong original must have really rocked somebody's world because I'm still not that impressed. 


Look, I get it. I like the classic Pork XLB a lot, and I can appreciate a textbook thin, chewy wrapper and a savory well-balanced broth, but I still have to go to southern China to blow my mind. I'm not hater - I really do think they're great, but they're just not the dumpling holy grail that everyone makes them out to be. 


And aside from the main-attraction XLB, everything else is just okay. The Shrimp and Pork Wontons have a dense, meaty center, and the wonton wrappers wave their wings as they bask in a rather bland broth,


I do appreciate the Shrimp and Pork Shumai more this time around - last time someone forgot to add the salt. 


Just be sure to avoid the Pork and Sticky Rice Shumai. The rice is mushy and overcooked, and you can't even detect the pork.

Every time someone asks my opinion on DTF, I get THE GLARE. I blaspheme when I give a less-than-enthusiastic endorsement of everyone's dumpling icon, and there's this look of utter confusion that follows, as if I said the sky was no longer blue. I'm increasingly tempted to lie, when the looks of innocence shattered begin to appear, but if you're asking my honest opinion; I like DTF a lot, but I just can't love it all that much.

din tai fung Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment