Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sea Harbour - Rosemead


I've never craved anything like I crave good dim sum. It aches and irks like that itch in the middle of your back between the shoulder blades that you just can't reach. Once in a while, it just needs to be scratched.


You can't scratch that itch without help, just like 
you can't clean this steaming plate of soft soy tendon and chewy honeycomb tripe alone. Phone at least one friend to share with.


I love dim sum, but I'm not always willing to work for it. All the best stuff is the San Gabriel Valley, and Rosemead's Sea Harbour is quite the drive up the 405...and the 10...and the 710...and just about every other freaking freeway in SoCal. On the days I can't make the drive, I end up going to Gardena, whih is as satisfying as the Tofu Skin Rolls.The skin is just the right cellophane-brown-sauce texture but the veggie filling is mediocre and leaves a lot to be desired.



The Soup Dumplings are a little bit better. They have a sweet, gingery filling, the yin to the yang of the vinegar dipping sauce. There's plenty of juice, but they're far from Sea Harbour's best.



The Shrimp Hargow, on the other hand are absolutely, hands-down the best freaking shrimp dumplings I've had in my entire life! The dumplings are plump, the crystal wrapper stays cohesively chewy, and there is not a single grain of sogginess along the bottom. The shrimp filling miraculously holds its flavor despite the steaming, and WOW, just WOW.



The Pork Shumai are savory with a bit of sass They have some sort of strongly salty, truffle-y thing on top, a small touch with a bold statement.



When I saw that there were no carts Sea Harbour, I started to panic (Ai-yaaaaaa!). I wasn't sure if dim sum was really dim sum if you didn't have to catch as it rolls by. Well the Shrimp Rice Noodles were plenty authentic and once again, the best I've had. The plump, shrimp-stuffed noodles have just the right texture, and the soy sauce on top is just the right touch of salty versus sweet. 



The Pork Buns were so fluffy, airily puffed around a sweet chopped char-siu. These melt so quickly on the tongue, they're probably soft enough to be swallowed whole.



Sea Harbour has convinced me that the best dim sum doesn't need a cart, but every dim sum experience MUST have a waitress wielding scissors. After all, sharing a staple red bean-filled Sesame Ball simply can't be done without a sharp snip down the middle.



Dammit Sea Harbour, you ruined dim sum for the rest of my life! I will never again go for the South Bay settle, and where will I ever find shrimp hargow or Milk Egg Custard Tarts like yours? Egg creme without the brulee, softer and sweeter than any custard, in a flaky crust with a million little layers.

You could go still go somewhere else for your dim sum, but will you ever go anywhere else this good?

Sea Harbour Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment