Thursday, March 3, 2016

Currant American Brasserie - San Diego

Glide down the gilded stairs of the Sofia Hotel and Currant beckons from its back door facing the reception desk. One step and you're over the threshold, face to face with happy hour heaven.


Except there is no happy hour. Despite the clear advertising, the bartender insisted the menu didn't exist. I showed her my menu and she actually snatched it away. No happy hour for me - I just b*tched unhappily over bar bites.



Well the Duck Confit Tacos were nothing to b*tch about. Hearty helpings of fat-flavored meat with a nice mix of avocado and cabbage. Nice combination, went well with my whiskey.



The Truffle Parmesan Popcorn was a fun nibbler if you're not too hungry. I bet it goes great with whatever game is on, but it's only one notch above the white cheddar from the vending machine.



Currant had me not-so-happy during "happy hour", but we still went back for brunch. My discontent melted away when the Beignets melted in my mouth, a sweet-tart dipped in lemon curd.



Just this half-portion of the Red Chili Pulled Pork Skillet filled me up twice over; the hearty, flavorful carnitas a wake-up call from a potato bed.


I love San Diego...at least I think I do. I love drinking a big beer on the Animal Safari Park tram, I could live backstage at the zoo, and I think I'm addicted to panda cam. That said, I have yet to be blown away by the food. Cafe Chloe had some great highlights last year, but their snobbery left a sour taste. Searsucker felt like a sellout, and Currant did a sketchy thing. The brunch was plenty pleasant, but I have yet to have a meal I consider truly, amazingly great. I like staying in Gaslamp, but I don't think I'll eat there again.

Currant American Brasserie Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment