Sunday, February 1, 2015

Unfailing Fritto Misto - Hermosa Beach



There is no other way to say it; we are facing uncertain times. In a world where iPhones bend without breaking, the New England Patriots are accused of deflating their footballs for an extra edge, and Hello Kitty is not a cat, I feel like I can't count on anything anymore.

But I know I can count on Fritto Misto. No matter what changes this crazy world sees, their mind-blowing pasta-that's-so-much-more-than-pasta is my only constant in the face of change, my only source of consistency in a dynamic world.



I'm pretty scared by all this change, and the Jumbo Ravioli stays steadfast when the urge to eat my feelings strikes. Soft squares stuffed with sweeter cheese highlights salty slices of proscuitto. Add gooey caramelized onions and chunks of bacon-for-rich-people pancetta in a lingering garlic cream sauce, and you'll be licking the plate when you're done.



The iBend has caused quite the panic for those devoted to a company that supposedly has no equal. But I never saw what all the fuss was about. Unlike Fritto Misto's gnocchi, Apple products are totally incompatible with anything anyone else has ever made, turning installing software essentials into a nightmare of overrides. Fritto Misto can combine anything with anything and make it taste amazing. Their soft Gnocchi melts in the mouth like fluffy pillows of potato. A cream sauce coats the gnocchi with savory chicken and a touch of tart tomato for a palate-pleasing plate.



But it's just as good with a sharper spin on sauteed spinach and slightly-sour artichoke.



When you've already had the phenomenal pasta, the crispy Calamari seems almost as deflating as the Patriots' game balls. But unlike the notorious P.A.T.s., no one argues about the ability of this simple appetizer to stand on its own. The calamari is perfectly battered and fried without even the slightest hint of grease.



Even the vegetarian dishes don't need to cheat to win. The Goat Cheese Fettuccini shows zesty character with lemon pepper fettuccini and sundried tomatoes, topped with creamy-crumbly goat cheese.



Like the Pats, Fritto Misto's merits are meant to amaze. I honestly don't think they're capable of cooking anything less than stellar. Even their seafood is top-notch, and these Crab Cakes were no exception.



A lot of shocking things have happened this year, but none have shaken me to my very core like the news that Hello Kitty, despite her pointed ears, whiskers, and button tail, is indeed not a cat. Very few foods have shocked me more than Fritto Misto's Stuffed Chicken Breast. To think a notoriously-bland white meat chicken doused in luxurious herb ricotta, with fresh pesto over a bed of linguini could be my favorite dish is a concept that blows my mind.



After all those entrees, I figured dessert would be pretty anticlimactic. The menu looked pretty run-of-the-mill, and Tiramisu isn't exactly new for me. The thing is, I've mascarpone cream before, but never something so rich and dense it was practically a solid. But unlike the over-the- top sugary assault I had grown accustomed to, the cream was just slightly sweet, a soak for the soft, subtle ladyfingers and a contrast for a more potent espresso.

Fritto Misto may look like a nondescript little Italian place, dwarfed by the elaborate storefronts of Hermosa Beach and its buzzing pier, but it's the one constant in the face of all sorts of scary change. In a world where restaurants come and go, and nothing is for certain, at least I can sit down at Fritto Misto and expect them to deliver every time.

Fritto Misto Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment