Saturday, May 31, 2014

Oui to Weho Bistro – West Hollywood


When it was suggested that we brunch at Weho, it was more like We-who. I was none too thrilled about a baguette-baking brunch spot bold enough to declare itself West Hollywood’s favorite bistro. But when said bistro offers private parking and outdoor dining in sunny SoCal, I had nothing to say an enthusiastic “Oui!” to Weho.


The brunch items looked pretty solid but pretty generic, so my enthusiastic “oui” became a little more lowercase. Then out came the bread, a demi demi-baguette that rivaled the boulangeries of France, and suddenly I knew there was more to Weho than meets the menu.

The Luberon Crepe may sound like a simple shell of scrambled eggs, bacon, and Swiss, but the eggs are impossibly fluffy and even airier than the crepe. The bacon graces the crepe to add just a subtle hint of savor, and the absolutely perfect balance of light eggs, slightly sweet crepe, salty bacon, and savory Swiss is a definite “OUI”.


I’ve never seen a Breakfast Quesadilla feature lamb, and apparently I’ve been missing out. I was afraid that the lamb would be too overpowering for an egg-and-veggie quesadilla, but I ate my words…in embarrassingly large bites. The lamb was prepared in a way that made it resemble a slightly gamier carne asada. Steak and eggs belong together, and the veggies and salsa provided a cooler contrast.

It’s hard to get noticed in Hollywood. The shadow of an iconic sign serves as constant reminder of how we are too small to be larger-than-life. In a world where everyone seeks fame and fortune and talent is a dime-a-dozen, Weho’s mastery of food is well worth every dime. In a place known for its literal smoke and mirrors, Weho lets its skill speak for itself, and what a significant statement it has made. So let’s keep my statement simple and just say that we heart Weho and after one bite, so will you.

No comments:

Post a Comment