Thursday, May 22, 2014

Justifiying Japonica - Redondo Beach


I really didn’t want people to know that I was having sushi for the third night in a row, and Japonica was the perfect place to hide. The dining area looks almost like the hallway of a high-end massage parlor, where wooden slats partly conceal the booths on either side. The tables aren't actually well-hidden, so you won’t get accosted by a ninja, but I definitely didn’t mind feeling like no one saw me binge…again.


I have no justification for why I would need to eat sushi for three nights in a row, but I’m totally okay with confessing to this piping hot plate of steamed, slightly-salted Shishitos. Vegetables have no calories, right?


Nothing accompanies sushi better than a Sake Flight, and nothing accompanies (and eradicates) a binger’s guilt like a generous pour.


The Ginjo Sake is light and smooth, what you'd expect when you think of sake. Neither too sweet nor too fruity, this one highlights the sweetness of the Eel Avocado Roll...


And enhances the tuna jalapeno of the Crispy Rice.


The Daiginjo Sake is the sweetest thing, and every sugary sip brings out the sweet-tart slices atop the Salmon Lemon Roll.


The Junmai sake is described as "robust", but its sharp taste is reminiscent of briny west coast oysters on my tongue. Pair it with the Spicy Scallop Roll and savor the seafood flavor.

Aside from the pretty dining room and intimate ambiance, Japonica's sushi makes a strong showing, with fresh fish and rolls with just enough pizzazz to not be boring. I know I shouldn't binge quite as much as I do, but let's just say that Japonica was very well-justified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment