Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Mivida - Tulum, Mexico


People are always surprised to hear that I went back to Tulum. "So soon?" they ask, "but didn't you just go there?"

I'm surprised myself. I'm so novelty-oriented I can't eat the same meal twice in a month. The world is so full of new places and yet, here I am, two weeks shy of a year later, going back to where I was.

We trudge in from a red-eye, after a frugal but grueling journey on the ADO. Our bags are deposited at reception while we wait for our room, and we've got time to kill. We sit down next door at Mivida because we're too hungry to hunt.


There is no view like this one.


The food isn't equal to the view, but we're hungry and it'll do. The Salmon Tartare could have had fresher salmon - this one tastes a bit fishy, which the mustard doesn't hide. Avocado is always a welcome addition, and the ones in Tulum are always ripe.


Points for creativity in the tapas. The Stuffed Squid is a new one for me, and the giant squid makes a pretty tender husk. The shrimp inside are sheltered from the flames so they also stay soft. The eggplant works as a texture but finishes a little too bitter, and with the mint it gets weird. Fortunately, a thick layer of aioli acts as a universal unifier. 


They get props for homemade pasta, but the Maltagliati "Polipo" is a smidge undercooked and could have boiled for another minute or two. The octopus is right on, and the pesto rocks. 

I can think of worse ways to start a day, and Mivida isn't it. The view is divine, and the food is close enough. Too pricey to eat here again, but overall not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment