Sunday, February 11, 2018

Great Full Gardens - Reno


There are hippies and hipsters everywhere you go, but they've been flocking to Reno in droves. But I had no idea how far this not-so-hostile takeover had gone until ultra-conservative grandpa parked his Lexus in front of a hippie-dippy cafe.

We went inside, some of us more willingly than others, and suddenly I understand. Great Full Garden is not at all hippie-dippy, just happy. Bright canvases of all sizes display affordable works by local artists for purchase. Each table is adorably adorned with artisan saltshakers, each one cuter than the next. The staff is friendly, and it's impossible not to smile. 

The I find out that all of their soups are vegan, and nothing wipes the smile off my face faster than that! So when we order both soups to try, I expect something raw-tasting, stuff of the basic b----es, usually something sparse and lacking substance. 

The Coconut Corn Chowder lacks nothing. Coconut milk cleverly fills in the gaps for cream, and the sweet potatoes add substantial density for a comforting, curry-like concoction. 


The Totally Tomato Soup is all tomato. Well-seasoned, totally fresh tomato. It's thick, almost a very smooth slurry, a touch earthy in a way that can only be pleasing. 


The tomato soup tastes best with the Angus Beef Melt dipped inside. The beef is juicy and sliced thin. Each bite ends in long reels of melty cheddar with a hint of horseradish. 


The Mid Town Quesadilla Is a mountain of impressively tender chicken and juicy sautéed mushrooms. A simple mozzarella holds it all together in manageable proportion. I hate all whole wheat, but this tortilla comes together nicely and doesn't fall apart despite being paper thin. The quesadilla itself makes two meals, but there's still a side of light Mexican rice and refried white beans. The beans are lighter than the heartier, fattier pinto, and you can eat the whole pile without feeling grossly full. 

I'm not a naturalist, and I'm sure as hell not a hippie or a hipster. I shop organic when I can, eat healthy when I want, and eat everything I desire. Hardly a recipe for frequenting places like Great Full Garden, but they do make a delightful lunch, and for that I'm fully grateful. 
Great Full Gardens Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment