Monday, October 30, 2023

Taco Tour #2 - La Flor de Yucatan - Los Angeles

The building is small, almost like a stall. There's a fridge and a counter and a few folding tables outside to sit. No frills, but the tacos are thrills.


There's a Combo of 2 tacos and 1 Tamal, and it's first Tamal de Chaya I've had since my girls' trip to Belize. The masa is so soft, the chaya adds a leafy fragrance. It’s the simplest of the tamales but the subtle flavors are so satisfying I ate mine plain. 


Cochinita pibil is a soup-dripping, warm and savory with a lift of citrus. Tastes like it’s been buried and braised for days. 

This may be the only time I’ve ever had turkey taste good. The relleno negro puts sweet, black achiote on a bland bird and I am obsessed. There’s a char and a tar and a sweet earthiness much like mole but it’s cooked into the meat, not just poured on. 


I had to order in Spanish and if the spiciness of my salsa is any indication, I may be the most gringa they've ever seen. The red is tomato water and the green is tomatillo juice. But tacos like this need no sauce and they so good I almost ended my taco tour right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment