Sunday, June 25, 2023

Torihei UPDATE - Torrance

Somehow I can only find one review of my favorite Torrance izakaya, and it was inexplicably lukewarm. Well I'm here 9 years later to set the record straight. Torihei is among my favorites, and I love everything I've eaten here. Maybe I went on an off night or maybe it was an off night for me, but I'll never know what made me write that review. 


For starters, the Okura is to die for, and I love that they lean into the slimy texture instead of trying to hide it. The okra keeps some crunch, its slick surface coated with sesame paste. The icy eggplant is a cool side, and the spinach is delicious. 


Fried Smelt Fish have a light cover, and they finish fishy, crunchy, and fresh. Don't get this if you don't like the smaller, fishier fish. 


I never love Chicken Skin anywhere but here. They manage to maximize the crunch, and texture is otherwise nicely chewy. It gets a little slimy at other izakayas, but Torihei keeps it tender. 


Speaking of skewers, the Heart will always be near and dear to mine, but the Special Heart is better, with its special sauce and string of roast garlic. 


Beef Tongue is still my favorite - load on the yuzu. 


Pork Belly is liquid meat, nice with a cold dollop of daikon. 


It was never my favorite, but their juicy little Meatballs made me a fan. 


Fried Shishito Peppers are a palate cleanser on the side. Perfectly perky peppers. I preferred mine blistered, but these are great, especially with breezy bonito flakes. 


Now it's called the Seared Beef with special sauce, and it remains quite special. The sauce is a just-perfect sweet soy-base, much like a ginger dressing but much more gentle, and the beef is red and tender. 


All goes well with a crunchy Robata Rice Ball. A simple triangle of grilled rice with a smear of soy sauce, the texture is the perfect contrast to the tender skewers. 

Let the record reflect that Torihei is among my top 3 izakayas, anywhere in the world. They're one of few that season their skewers, and I love every stick-y bite.  

No comments:

Post a Comment