Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Clutch & Coffee - Torrance


So. Hipster. OMG I can't. 


No, for realz, I can. I loved their sidewalk seating during lockdown, and make a good Cappuccino. Just skip the lavender vanilla syrup. It's like a sip of Febreeze.


The Greek Yogurt & Fruit Bowl didn't impress the toddler, but you can't really go wrong with fresh fruit and a very legit granola over Greek yogurt.


The open faced toasts are a reasonable, finish-able portion for breakfast or a light lunch. A little pricey for a single slice of bread, but the ingredients are quality. The Pecan Pesto & Burrata was one I didn't expect to like, but somehow pesto with honey isn't weird. Must be the pecans. 


The Fried Egg Tartine is more filling, with a runny egg yolk to top it off. Less would be more, though - the avocado and artichoke get a little lost, and the breading on the fried tomato is rock-hard and unseasoned.


Tomato Burrata Caprese: Should be called the Pickled Onion. Can't taste much more than that and the balsamic.


I do like the Elvis. A few good, simple ingredients and a big YES to the candied bacon.


For a more traditional breakfast, split the Buttermilk Pancakes with a friend or two. I don't know how they make something so thick so fluffy, and this batter is a good one. 


Another traditional one, the 2 Egg Breakfast. Self explanatory, with potatoes that are quite good and an impressive choice of meat, ranging from sausage to beef gyro. We went with pork shoulder bacon, which is a really juicy, chewy bacon, and it's pretty great. No regrets but I'm pretty curious about their gyro. 


There's a Southern Fried Chicken & Waffle that's also good for sharing. Their breading is pretty unique, breadier and harder than most I've had, but it works. Plenty of toppings, but that sweet n' spicy jalapeno jam's my jam. 


The Country Fried Tri-Tip Steak and Eggs has that same hard breading, and it makes the perfect contrast to the gooey gravy on top. 

I don't know how often I'll come back now that their outdoor dining is off the table, but I'm by no means writing them off. Definitely down for a coffee to go, and as for the menu - my opinion seems split because I've had so many things. I do like some things more than others, but I also do like this place overall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment