Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Sugarfish - Manhattan Beach

 

Man, I really want to love Sugarfish. LA loves it to the point of madness, and the South Bay has followed suit, but I truly do not understand.


The Don’t Think Just Eat is a deluxe combo for only $50, and for the quality of fish it’s supposed to be quite a deal. 


It is and it isn’t. It’s packed up real pretty and the fish tastes good, but I’ve just had so much better for less or the same. The standard salmons and snappers are good, and the Amebi was great. The rolls are fine, and I'm a sucker for mayo with blue crab, and the sashimi is a nice little extra. But the Toro was fishy; slick and fatty, but the flavor had more fish than fat, and I would have rather had Mitsuwa (their toro is very good, btw). 

What really bothers me is the way the rice fell apart. On Every. Single. Piece. I get that travel time affects the quality, but I've never had chunks of rice just fall out of a nigiri when I pick it up.

I’m guessing Sugarfish was something to write home about before they became a sellout. Even the highest end chains don’t deliver like a local mom and pop, and I'm guessing Sugarfish is Ruth’s Chris to The Arthur J. So choose Sugarfish if you want. You’ll get good quality at a fair price, and it will be pretty enjoyable, but it will never blow your mind.  . Do think and don't just eat because you might eat better from a local place instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment