Saturday, December 26, 2020

Standing Room UPDATE - Redondo Beach


I think I’ve hit a burger slump. Another disappointing order, this time from beach cities legend The Standing Room. 


I thought their outrageous burger options sounded awesome, but they were every bit as ridiculous as the menu made them sound. The individual ingredients sounded fun enough, and the buttery brioche buns were promising, but the lack of balance and restraint were clear. The Genghis Khan was a destroyer of burgers, and what could have been an epic sandwich was more like an epic disaster. I think they got so caught up in making the most unusual burger that they forgot to make it well. The patty seemed like an afterthought, pink in the middle but somehow hard and dry all around. Imperceptible amidst the crumples of bulgogi and a sea of sweet potato fries. There was so much stuff that couldn't be stuffed into that burger so they ended up being eaten separately with fingers and a fork. The individual ingredients were likable enough, but nothing went together, and it became a bland burger with another meat and a side of fries. I could have gotten this anywhere else, and if I had, the burger would have been better.


The Charlotte Sammie was a bit more realistic. The carnitas were good, and the sweetness of hoisin bbq sauce added a fun Asian twist. The coleslaw was cold and hot, and I appreciated that balance. I wouldn't come here just for this sandwich, but I did enjoy eating it. 


The Oscar Sammie was a pleasant surprise. We took a chance because I'm a sucker for soft shell crab, but I wasn't sure it would turn out well. It did. The crab was fresh, fried golden with a crispy crunch, and the gooey mayo and avocado only made the crab taste better. 


The side of Shishito Peppers was hard to finish because they were all HOTHOTHOT, but if you can handle spicy, these make a great side. They were perfectly cooked with a sweet roast and a bitter, fiery heat, yet not so cooked as to lose their snap. The chili soy was reduced to sticky, which made the sausage extra savory by locking in the juices. 

I really liked the Dressed Burger before so I think I’ll try that again next time, if there is one. After this experience, I don't see a reason to return to The Standing Room, sadly, but if I ever do, it seems best to err on the side of simple here as they don't do complicated well. 


The Standing Room Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment