Saturday, December 26, 2020

Messob UPDATE - Los Angeles



Last review of the year to complete my 100, for a restaurant that completes me. I love you Messob! 

There's no equivalent experience to sitting at a table sharing a steaming injera, but the Super Messob Exclusive travels just as well if not better. Where other foods get soggy, the sauces have more time to soak into the bread beneath. 

They divide this meant-for-two combo into two take-home boxes in case you shouldn't share or if you don't want to share with your spouse. Start with a heaping helping of Doro Wot to the left, fall-off-the-bone chicken stewed in an earthy red pepper sauce. Other meats include square of Siga Wot, beef in the same sauce; Yebeg Siga Alicha, cubes of lamb in a yellow, very mild, almost-curry; tender Tibs, a buttery stirfry of beef cubes, and my favorite ground beef with assertive spices. Moving on the veggies, there's Yemisir Wot, that rich red pepper sauce on lentils; Yater Alicha, the only split pea stew I'll ever eat; fresh Collard Greens; Yatakilt Alicha, potato and carrot in a yellow comfort stew; and Tomato Fit-Fit, bits of injera tossed in tomato. 


Grab your injera and dip a little into every dish. Alternate your veggies, rotate your meats. This platter is a playground for the palate, with all sorts of flavors and all sorts of spices. It's a sampling of some of the best of Messob, but don't hesitate to add on some house specials if you're serving and sharing with a party bigger than two. I think I'll try a few new things next time I order, but it really says something that I still love this sampler platter after seven years of going to Messob!

Messob Ethiopian Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment