Monday, August 17, 2020

Bluesalt Fish Grill - Torrance

I loved them when they first opened, but I'm afraid the takeout has gone a big downhill. 


I always get a fish from the grill, but this time my go-to Idaho Rainbow Trout with cajun garlic butter is uncharacteristically dry. It's only half a mile from their door to mine, so I'm guessing it sat on the grill for a moment too long. The sides still work, though. Liking the corn, though if you're charging an extra dollar for broccolini, maybe include an extra stalk or two. 


My first time getting the Fisherman's Basket, aka "all the fried sh*t" of varying quality. The scallops are okay, the calamari is good enough. They do a nice job with cod - the breading is fluffy and the fish underneath is flaky butter. The crab cake tastes like celery dough, and the both it and the shrimp are in a rock-hard shell. Methinks the cook let everything cook a little longer today. Except the hush puppies which are pleasantly spicy but rather doughy and undercooked-tasting in the middle.

It's unfortunate that this happened because I loved every other thing every other time. The barramundi is so buttery, the sea bass is sometimes a worthy splurge, and the scallops are surprisingly affordable. I hope today was a fluke because I've always loved Bluesalt. An affordable, fresh filet is so hard to find, and I can only hope my favorite fish isn't drowning.

No comments:

Post a Comment