Monday, December 16, 2019

Kali Restaurant - Los Angeles

It's hard to describe what makes Kali so special, probably because there is nothing not special about this small, sweet, and simply lovely space. 

The decor is pretty, just pretty. Clean tables of light wood contrasts a dark stone floor. The ambiance is one of friendly calm on a weekday night, and the tasting menu has a balanced execution that is both skillful and sleek.


The amuse is popping pearls of Caviar on a fluffy, mouth-melting blini. A dollop of creme fraiche draws out the seafood savor, and the silky texture is just perfect.


There's an Uni and Oyster power couple that I missed thanks to some coupling I did earlier this year. I'm told that the uni is fresh and sweet, and the oyster has a bubble-burst of citrus sauce, as startling as it is brilliant. 


The chef accommodates my dietary restrictions in a way I could never expect, in a more considerate manner than I would ever dare to ask for. My seafood comes fully cooked, a gorgeous Abalone, poached so tender it could be sashimi, with a rich and salty mushroom XO sauce to make the sweetness pop. 


A gorgeous fish. I believe it was Chilled Sea Bass, buttery refreshment in a simple olive oil and an accent of citrus. 


There's a Black Barley Risotto that sits in a satisfying sphere. A pupil of black garlic seduces with its murk, and the surrounding field of wheatgrass oil brings it back to the light.


The Dry Aged Ribeye is enough to make me regret the tasting menu altogether. It's all so amazing, but I could have just gotten a few more slices of ribeye and been satisfied with my life. All that marbled fat is so melty it's halfway to wagyu.


I could eat this meal forever, but the Meringue Gelato marks the end. The gelato is cool and creamy, and the candied yolk shavings add a salty and savory contrast to complete the dish. 


We even get some Truffles for the road. 

I'm not sure what genre of food this is, but delicious is all I need to know. Every bite at Kali is exquisite, and I can only hope to make it back for more. 
Kali Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment