Monday, October 16, 2017

Sushi Pier - Sparks, NV


There is a god, the camping is over. Everything I own is no longer be covered in a layer or dirt or dust, myself included, and I find myself in a luxurious world of flushing toilets and cell phone chargers. It's time for my first real meal, too, and I will eat anything that isn't freeze dried from a bag.

Sparks doesn't offer much, but I've been literally eating dirt for the past week so AYCE sushi sounds like the best lunch in the world.


The AYCE menu is myriad in offerings, and the apps have potential. Mussels in the Half Shell are baked with a spicy mayo of sorts, but this is one seafood dynamite that isn't going to blow anyone's mind. The mussels taste like they've been frozen for longer than the polar icecaps. 


Tempura Stuffed Calamari
sounds like all my favorite things; low-end crab, shrimp, scallop...jammed into a rubber squid. Ewww...Even eel sauce can't save this one.


The rolls will do. The Rainbow Roll has tuna, yellowtail, and salmon squeezed inside, sprinkled with tobiko on top. It's a fine, middle-of-the-road roll, but I prefer the fresh fish overlay. The San Francisco Roll is, like their other rolls, a "meh" and a shrug. The tempura shrimp is crisp and the avocado is ripe, though, so I can't really complain.  


I'm really here for the nigiri, and we are loading up. The Tuna is fine, the Surf Clam is a small settle, and the Salmon Skin with Octopus hand roll is like night and day. The salmon skin is crisp with a satisfying crunch, but the octopus has the texture of an undercooked slug.


The Eel is whatever, and everything else has a thin layer of slime on it. Spit those Scallops out before you get food poisoning, though the Octopus is quite an improvement from the hand roll, and the Salmon is surprisingly okay.

$16.95 for AYCE lunch isn't the worst deal if you're up for a day of gluttony. It really hit the spot when I was hurting, but I wouldn't go back unless my standards were low. 
Sushi Pier Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment