Tuesday, December 30, 2014

No Encores at Everyday Beijing - San Mateo



The only thing I learned after a month on cardiology is that I don't understand cardiology. The concepts are so abstract they might as well be rocket science, and to this day, I can only hear a regular rate and rhythm.


I understand the Silicon Valley cities about as well as I understand cardiology, and I understand the sub-par Chinese food at Everyday Beijing even less. Take the classic Scallion Pancake, for example. It's crisp and full of scallion, an unmistakable Chinese classic that co-exists on the list of #stuffwhitepeoplelike. But despite the generous helping of frying oil, it's about as dry as an over-diuresed CHF exacerbation.


But in the case of CHF, at least I know to push lasix. Everyday Beijing has the basics down with the Beef Cartilage as well. But just bread-and-butter medicine, this bread-and-butter Chinese dish was way too easy to forget.


I can do some basic CHF management, but the EKGs elude me entirely.If I'm holding the EKG right-side up when I try to read it, you should already be impressed. I learned those peaks and depressions about as well as Everyday Beijing learned Ma Po Tofu. The tofu was bland without ground pork, and the signature Szechuan sauce was about as interesting as rule out ACS.


It's sad when the best thing is an afterthought of a side, but sadly the Garlic String Bean was like my cardiology fellows - the only thing I actually enjoyed.


You're probably asking yourself, shouldn't an internal medicine resident understand a little cardiology? The answer is a very embarrassed yes. After Everyday Beijing, I was asking myself, shouldn't an authentic Chinese restaurant know how to make Szechuan Boiled Fish? The answer is also a very embarrassed yes. The oil-and-water broth was an assault with an abrasive black pepper finish.

I don't understand how I managed to miss cardiology in a field that requires so much of it, but I understand even less how Everyday Beijing survives in city where Chinese competition is keen. I should probably brush up on the heart, but don't worry, I have a plan. Next time I have a long layover at SFO, I'll be reading my Dubin over a Chinese lunch...in a restaurant that is NOT Everyday Beijing.

No comments:

Post a Comment