Saturday, December 22, 2012

La Estrella – Bronx



Nothing breaks up your work day like a good hot lunch. My lunch at La Estrella was served piping hot but the service was cold as ice. Actually, I don’t know what the service is like because our server never acknowledged me and only spoke Spanish to my dining companion Tomas. My Spanish sounds like nails on a chalkboard except the chalkboard is lodged inside your ear.

“I would like the Pernil with a side of Maduros.” The server didn’t even start writing until Tomas translated. This wasn’t hard, but I can say “yo quiero pernil” about as accurately as the politically incorrect Taco Bell Chihuahua.


Most people would be put off by this kind of linguistic snobbery, but I thought, “This is my kind of place.” A place that is so authentic they will ignore you for not speaking Spanish is bound to have fantastic food. The pernil came steaming hot, the rice and beans were perfect, and the maduros were soft and sweet. I expected the bill to be huge, but this table full of food cost me a mere $7.50 and an extra $3 for the side. With food this good, I can learn Spanish just to order at La Estrella. With prices this low, I can save up for Rosetta Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment