Friday, October 5, 2018

Xi'an BiangBiang Noodles - London, UK

Back to London, and our first choice had a 1-hour wait, and we were just too hungry. I regret being that hungry.


I don't mind this casual drop-in noodle house. The Hand-Pulled Biang Biang Noodles are have the right texture, and they're close to al dente. The thick chunks of beef are tender, and the special sauce is a pleasantly numbing burn. 


The Hand-Pulled Noodles with Pork Mince in Qishan Soup are exactly what they say they are. The noodles are great, and the broth hurts so good if you're a spice wimp like me. It's perfect for a cold, rainy day...which is pretty much every day in London. 


Steer clear of the Boneless Chicken in Chili Oil. This is my favorite appetizer, but after having terrible iterations at multiple restaurants, I'm learning that this deceptively simple dish is difficult to make. I hate to say it, but the one here is gross. The chicken is slimy with several spots of goopy fat, and the sauce is mostly chili oil with no other detectable flavor.


The Chinese Greens with garlic break up all the meat and carbs. They are the surprise of the meal, my favorite dish. The garlic is fresh and sharp and clings to the still-crisp green like mildly gelatinous glue. It tastes freshly-picked, like most of the produce I've had in Europe, and I'm impressed by the quality of something so basic.

I don't love this restaurant, but I definitely don't hate it. It'll do in a pinch, and most of the food we ordered was made well. The overall experience was quite pleasant, and although most of the food is reasonably authentic, it just wasn't the best representation of this cuisine.
xi'an biangbiang noodles Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment