Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Harajuku Taproom - Culver City

I don't know why I even bother to leave Torrance for an izakaya. I have literally not had a single izakaya exceed my expectations, and I haven't been to a single one that wasn't mediocre. 

I loved the ambiance at Harajuku Taproom, but the best part is definitely the taproom. I had the Teikoku IPA. It tasted fresh and finished with a polish. My friend got something Belgian that tasted like black cherry. I would have tried a couple more if it hadn't been a school night. 


The skewers were not my favorite. The meats were grilled to perfection, but they were bland. You get options with the sauces, but I don't appreciate having to add my own salt. They didn't come with any seasoning to speak of. The Chicken Heart is juicy and does have a nice texture, though. 


The Chicken Skin was crispy but could be more so. 


Chicken Gizzards
paired well with yuzu.


Pork Belly
is always a good idea, but the non-fatty parts got a bit tough.


The Miso Eggplant was my favorite - our server recommended it. Each chunk was tender, and the miso added a sweet finish.


A couple of classics: the Taproom Gyoza had a juicy pork filling.


The Onigiri Rice Ball had flavorful salmon flakes. 


Don't come here looking for authentic sushi, but we had so much fun with the Ecstasy Roll that we got it twice. A glorious hot mess of tempura shrimp and crab crammed into a thick roll can't go wrong! Ahi tuna, yellowtail, salmon,and scallop on top, like a rainbow row on crack. We may or may not have fought viciously over the scallop pieces. 


The Spicy Tuna on Crispy Rice was another fun choice. Filling, with freshly diced tuna and all the spicy stuff.


Desserts were simple, but they did have my favorite ice creams. Both the black sesame and green tea are creamy and dense, and seriously, what's not to like?

I'm pretty meh about Harajuku Taproom, objectively speaking, but I did leave happy. I rarely like a place this much for ambiance alone, but I had a truly great time. It's great place to grab a drink after work, on a casual date, with the girls...it'll do as long as you're trying to have fun. So I didn't particularly love the food, but overall Harajuku Taproom is definitely good enough to bring me back.
harajuku taproom Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment