Monday, October 8, 2018

Chennai Restaurant - Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, UK


I've heard that England is where you have the best Indian food you've ever tasted. Naturally, I requested we find some. Some googling gets us over to Chennai, a local restaurant in the 'burbs of Birmingham. 


Pappadum
to start, a teaser with a tray of sauces for dipping. Yogurt, tamarind, mango chutney, etc. Makes chips and salsa seem boring. 


We order the Mixed Non-Veg Platter, designed for two people who haven't eaten in days to share. The seekh kebab is salty and moist, the tandoori meats are tender enough, and I love how much the spices sink into the wings. 


It's time to dip baskets of Garlic Naan into all these dishes. The naan is great. It's soft and fluffy with a gooey topcoat of pulverized garlic that secretes a pungent juice with hints of sweetness. 


We order everything mild or medium, and they do a nice job riding the fine line between flavor and pain. The Jalfrazi carries a tangy tomato flavor, but beware the green chilies. They contribute a phenomenal pepper kick to the flavor, but I accidentally ate one. I lived to tell the tale, though...an entire pitcher of Mango Lassi later.


The Korma is a mild and sweet curry, and subtle applesauce texture of coconut and cream. 


A side of Bindi Bhaji provides a cool-down from the curries. The okra is fresh and not even the slightest bit slimy. Garlic and ginger bring out its natural flavor for an enjoyable stir fry. 


With our server's recommendation, we had one of the signature dishes, the name of which I can't recall. I do, however, recall a denser tomato-based stew with large, fresher prawns, and I do recall liking it. 


I've had plenty of Indian food, from the north and the south, and I don't know what to make of Chennai. I enjoyed the meal, but it was different. Chennai's flavors have a much milder, subtler presence than the hard-hitting spice mixes I'm accustomed to, and I'm not in a position to judge whether that's good or bad. Chennai does boast a Bengali influence as well so I don't know if that changes things. We didn't eat at any other traditional Indian restaurants in the UK so I don't know if this is true of all British Indian cuisine. I can't really say if it's better or worse, though I do feel that Chennai's flavors tasted diluted. My palate is pretty confused, but at least it's not unpleasantly confused after eating at Chennai. 

No comments:

Post a Comment