Thursday, August 29, 2013

Soho Thai Fushion Bar & Grill – Lomita


The great thing about low expectations is that they can only get better. And by the time I got to Soho Thai, my expectations for Thai were so-low that I didn’t dare order Thai. Melanee gave me a shot of PTSD (Post Thai Stress Disorder) so strong I couldn’t even look at the Thai part of the menu.


So I started with a flavorfully grilled Siam Pork instead. That iceberg salad on the side was about as special as a school lunch, but the rest of the plate was pleasing enough. The pork dipping sauce didn’t do it for me, but that’s only because I liked the pork too much to do any dipping, which is exactly how good meat should be. So feel free to flout my frequent sauciness over this dipping sauce – it did have a nice sour little kick to it.


When my lunch companion ordered the Panang Curry, I gave him a nice little kick under the table. After hearing about my experience at Melanee, you’d think a boy would learn. The curry itself wasn’t exactly mind-altering or life-changing, but it was enough to make me dare to order curry next time despite the PTSD. Just thick enough to be hearty and thin enough to seep into the crevices between all those grains of rice, it’s a solid lunch at worst. And for better or for worse, I think the Malay people it came from could comfortably claim it.

Turns out the only pill for PTSD is Soho’s Mango with Sticky Rice, and one dose will have you cured. They import the Thai yellow mangoes, and one bite of that fleshy, shamelessly sweet, pulpier-than-thou mango that puts even the ripest Kent to shame, you can feel better about pretty much anything. A sweet coconut milk concoction sticks to the little nooks and crannies of the sticky rice, and a couple bites confirms this as the best Thai dessert I’ve had since Bangkok.

To be fair, the lunch at Soho isn’t cheap, but it’s reasonably priced with portions just big enough to fill you up. I wouldn’t really plan to come back, but then again that dessert earns at least one more encore…

No comments:

Post a Comment