Thursday, August 8, 2013

Oh Em Gee at O Dae San - Los Angeles


My SunDae got a whole lot better when I went to O Dae San. And that’s really saying something considering I was stopping by on my way up to the famous Runyon Canyon.

There’s no other way to describe it, Runyon is just plain famous. A haven for hikers, a hotspot for socialites, and a must-see for celebs, there’s really no one left that doesn’t know about Runyon. Koreatown isn’t that far behind. I mean, you probably won’t see celebs, but I dare you to find someone in SoCal who doesn’t know about Koreatown. And if you think about it, they’re not all that different. One is holes in the ground, and the other is holes in the wall. And although most people aren’t driving to Koreatown for the breathtaking view, the view into a barbecue pit isn’t half bad either.



My drive up to Runyon was quite a trial of traffic, with cars on the 405 as numerous as the plethora of pickled plates that mark the start of every Korean meal. But O Dae San also starts with a Kimchee Pancake, which fell as flat as its name. I love kimchee, but it doesn’t belong in a pancake. The pickled spiciness gets lost in the batter, and it ends up being goopy breaded cabbage. So forget the kimchee, pancakes should be reserved for strawberries, blueberries, chocolate chips…and scallion.


The pancake was an unpleasant hike toward the main event, but looking down and seeing Pork Belly, Beef Belly, and Beef Brisket sizzle on the grill was about the equivalent to going to Runyon and looking down from the top. The thing is, no matter how hot the sun gets, downtown LA doesn’t burn, which is more than I can say for the beef if you leave it on the grill too long. Plus the pork belly turns tough under the heat. So feel free to bite off more than you can chew, but be careful about cooking more than you can eat.

The best part about Runyon’s view is that it’s free. Celebs and nobodies alike can soak in the sights for the same no cost, and at O Dae San, anyone can have an all-you-can-eat lunch for $11.99.

I had fun at O Dae San, and I loved going there, but I wouldn’t go back simply because Koreatown offers too many promising alternatives. But if you’re craving a huge lunch at a crazy deal on your way to Runyon, a meal at O Dae San will put the cherry on top of your sunDae. Just make sure you hike to burn it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment