Monday, August 12, 2013

All Jacked Up about Jack’s on Montana – Santa Monica



Walking into Jack’s and expecting an average brunch is like walking into Gold’s Gym in Santa Monica and expecting everyone to look like you. Arnold Schwarzenegger trained there so believe me, everyone there is jacked. And although I don’t know who trained the chef at Jack’s, believe me, Jack’s brunch is brunch on crack. 



When Jack’s serves brunch, Jack’s serves a serious brunch. You’ll leave disappointed if you're craving some creativity, but don’t worry, the classics will blow you away. I’ve had some pretty awesome omelets, and I’ve even made a few good ones myself, but good things come in threes, and nothing comes close to the Three Mushroom Omelet. The eggs flop fluffily around a bulging tube of juicy mushrooms, which burst in your mouth as they stick to strings of fresh mozzarella. We subbed the mozz for the goat cheese just to lighten this dense little flavor-pack.



I never thought I’d see my beloved blue corn again after a brief stint in New Mexico, but I guess they migrated with me...and picked some soft black beans and just the right blend of salsa, guac, and cheese along the way. Just break those farm fresh eggs and top the hearty Huevos Rancheros with a little halo of yolk.

The less creative the name, the better the food. And the food at Jack’s is about as creative as its name, a bunch of brunch bites rooted deeply in tradition; sandwiches and sausages with predictable sides of soft home fries and the freshest fruit. You don’t get less creative than a name like Jack’s, but I dare you to find a brunch that’s better. Being new to California, I still have a lot of brunch to try. I'll try them all one day, but today I’m still pretty jacked up about my journey to Jack’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment