Thursday, October 10, 2024

Little Belize Restaurant - Inglewood

I took a trip to Belize many years ago as a single lady, in the company of another single lady and had the time of my life. Zip lining, diving, yoga poses for pictures atop majestic temples; it was a celebration of a friendship that I hope will last forever.

I learned a lot about myself too on the trip, falling into the kind of introspection that only happens with travel. I have only amazing memories of Belize, many of which are all about the food, their colorful combination of Latin and Caribbean,  memories I will never hesitate to eat. 


For starters, I love starters. Their Sampler Platter is a selection of important classics, including panades filled with fish encased in crispy corn, garnaches of fried tortillas garnished with beans and a tomato and onion semi-jam, and salbutes with a thicker base and juicy shredded chicken in the same sweet tomato and onion sauce. All are hearty, none too heavy, and every bite tastes better when it’s shared.  


There was also a Plantain Boat, which didn’t seem like it should go together. The plantain is sweet and deliciously fried, but the tangy-savory chicken-tomato-onion filling is far better served on a simple tortilla or something similar as they simply didn’t go with the sweeter, fruity plantain notes. 


The Oxtail is a decent entree, doused in a heavy brown gravy that tastes like viscous beef. A bit on the salty side for me but not so much that it’s off-putting, especially over rice. The oxtail itself requires minimal coaxing to abandon the bone. A solid stew overall, but it’s the actually the rice and beans I can’t forget. Stewed and spicy, the savory flavors run so deep that it could be a stand-alone dish. The cole slaw is mayo soup - opt for literally anything else as a side.


Desserts are nice but not a necessity. Milk Cake is simply sweet with a thin layer of dulce de leche, a bit dry overall.


Lemon Pie is lovely, with a custard-y filling of zesty lemon.

Nothing tastes better than nostalgia, and I like Little Belize for it. Are they the best Caribbean cuisine in Inglewood? Probably not but that’s okay too - competition is keen. I plan to try the other options before I decide which one to stick with, but as of now, I’d gladly order Little Belize again.

No comments:

Post a Comment