Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Pono Market - Kapaa, HI

I'm loving the poke-all-day-every-day theme, but man, I've really missed cooked food. 


They make both at Pono Market, which is a definite plus. My lunch plate has a savory-enough kalua pork piled high, next to a sassy side of tako poke with Korean pepper sauce. There’s a surf clam poke, which I have yet to see again. The chewy shark-tooth triangles are firm and juicy in a basic salty solution, and they add their own dash of ocean brine. I like it, but if you don’t like brine, stick with ahi. 

The poke is okey dokey, but I like their hot food better. Spicy ahi poke is gooey with mayo, and the spicy shrimp are pretty fresh. The Pork Adobo is probably the best thing on these plates, meaty chunks soaked with a thick and gritty, nice and vinegary, semi-gravy.


If you're feeling neither, you can keep it simple with a drink at the coffee counter or a warm musubi for a change.

Another day, another poke counter. Every town has a market for a fish and a fish for poke, and I'm sure there are towns with much worse poke than Kapaa, but I don't know if I need to eat poke here next time I'm in town.
Pono Market Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment