Saturday, December 9, 2017

KazuNori - Santa Monica

So minimalist. So so minimalist. Seafood; fresh. Quality; high. Hand rolls; gotta catch them all.


Set of five, in sum, plus Salmon Sashimi, plus a special. The sashimi is soft and smooth, the salmon almost creamy in an airy fountain of ponzu. 


A strong salmon start that should have been a finish; the first hand roll gives me small regrets. The Chopped Toro is smooth as silk, but the tuna lacks the oomph it needs and barely skims the surface. It doesn't stand a chance inside a restrictive roll of rice.


The Yellowtail is a lot better, buttery enough to make waves. The Bay Scallops are a tender contender, and the Blue Crab is dense and sweet. The Lobster is lovely, as expected, but the roll needs more to avoid smothering it with rice.


The Uni Hand Roll special is fresh enough, but it does finish with a sting of unwanted bitterness. Not the freshest I've had. 

I have mixed feelings. I love the friendly staff, the gracious chefs. I love that I can have good seafood rolled up and handed to me, to be devoured by a clean hand and an eager mouth. But KazuNori isn't the best. Enjoyable for sure, but I'd like to see them work out a few kinks.
kazunori Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment