Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Going to The Gallows UPDATE – Boston


As a rule, I won’t write an update more than once unless the restaurant undergoes a significant change, for better or for worse. (1) Because my reviews are already pretty comprehensive and my updates rarely offer extra insight. And (2) because no matter what you say politely, do you really need to hear me babble about how much I loved a place for the third time?

This will be my third update on The Gallows. (1) Because I tried the brunch for the first time, (2) because it was too good to keep to myself, and (3) because I can. You may want to make your own gallows at the sight of yet another Gallows gush-fest so hopefully this will be my only extra update.

I’ve heard about the brunch, I’ve dreamed about the brunch, and I’ve always wondered the brunch was better than lunch. The answer is a resounding yes, mostly because the lunch menu is just an abbreviated version of dinner.



My French Quarter was a taste of the heart of the N’awlins, all in (1) circular stack. The stack starts with the famous fried oysters, straight off the nearest burger. The oysters are strategically placed on top of one so-called semolina dumpling, which tastes like a round grits cake struck by a polenta asteroid.  One fried green tomato adds a tart freshness to contrast the andouille sausage gravy, which runs in place of an egg yolk in this stack of southern Benedict.



(2) entrees are better than one, and the light-yet-filling Breakfast Crostini will definitely make you look twice. The grainy-smooth fava bean puree is a no-no for those with G6PD deficiency, a yes-yes for everyone else. The asparagus spears enhance the light, fresh theme of this dish, and although the crisp crostini are initially hard to saw through, they’ll come apart in as little as two cuts after soaking up the yolk from two perfectly poached eggs.



I had never gotten around to the famed Fluffernutter until now. Previous visits left me too full for breathing, never mind for dessert, but considering my upcoming move to LA, I dug right in to my last bite of Boston. One bite and I was a fan, two bites and I was enthralled, (3) bites and I was obsessed. The marshmallow is melty, the peanut butter is buttery, and the chocolate is just chocolately enough to make this the best no-bread version of my favorite lunchtime sandwich. The Gallows may be a one-dessert-wonder, but this one is a number one hit.

Rather than re-enumerate the reasons that The Gallows is my (1) and only, let’s just conclude by saying that it shouldn’t be your number (2). In all of my (3) reviews, The Gallows has been consistently amazing for many more times than that and for many more people than me. So if you haven’t been, go, if have been, go again. If you’ve already been three times, make sure your next visit number (4). No matter how many times I go, I will continue to give (5) stars to The Gallows, and I hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment