Thursday, December 29, 2011

Barking up the Right Tree at Barking Crab - Boston


Unless you have a horrific cold, in which case, why are you eating seafood (?!?!), you’ll know where you are the minute you get in the door of Barking Crab. The stinging fishy stench will hit you faster you’re your steaming platter of fried seafood can hit your table but not nearly as fast as the friendly host/hostess can seat you.
The Steamers were a fantastically fresh start, and I swear they pulled then out of the ocean before they hit the table. I’ve never seen steamers for sale anywhere, and being able to have them for the first time 15 years put me in a pretty good mood. Nothing tastes less-than-exceptional when dipped in hot melted butter, and this was no exception. The steamers proved to be an ideal appetizer and a much-needed contrast for the imminent battered platters.
I’m often labeled a shrimp due to my stature, but I think that the substantial oyster po’boy proves that a big flavor can masquerade as a wienie. My advice: don’t bother with the bun – why drown out oysters that fresh with grocery-store bread? Oh, and steer clear of the undercooked sweet potato fries!
There was nothing fishy about the freshness of the Seafood Platter, but ridiculous price reeked almost as much as the scallops, which clearly spent at least 2 months in a freezer. The portions are huge, but the exorbitant prices are a joke!
Of worthy note, my 2nd biggest fear in the world is public speaking, and I tend to clam up when I’m forced to do it. The fried clams in the seafood platter shut me up pretty fast, but my jaw never stopped moving up and down when I got a hold of these yummy little yappers. A bit dry and not the freshest, but I’ll give a little more leeway since they’re fried.
You’ll need to take my review with a grain of sea salt since I didn’t actually order crab or lobster at a place that specializes in crab. Sadly, no crab is THAT special. Although Barking Crab is one of few places I would actually want to get crabs from, the price makes it impossible to afford the subsequent necessities…So if it’s crabs I’m craving I’ll be getting them at a price that leaves me a little extra for the permethrin.


No comments:

Post a Comment