Sunday, May 27, 2018

Shark Cage Diving - Marine Dynamics, Gansbaai, South Africa


I am open-minded. Adventurous. Courageous, brave, definitely grew a pair. Those are euphemisms. The truth is, I'm EXTRA. I can't just go on a safari in South Africa. I can't just scale Table Mountain or just hike Lion's Head and get my fill like a normal person, I have to get into a cage for a close-up with great white sharks


It's hard to time the photos, and ours leave a lot to be desired. Believe me, this is something you MUST experience firsthand.


If one wants to get uncomfortably close to great white sharks, though no normal person seems to understand why one would ever want to get close to great white sharks, Marine Dynamics has your guys.


There is nothing like the thrill of seeing these giants up close. They are a sinister shadow in the deep, and they are impossible to see until they're too close for comfort. Those teeth are sharp, and even from the safety of the boat, the frontal view of an open mouth biting the bait ball gets adrenaline coursing through the veins.

The crew is almost as impressive as the sharks. They. Know. Everything. One look at an ominous surfacing shark fin, and they can name that shark. Not a single question they can't answer, and they are upbeat but professional. They even provide breakfast and some nicer snacks during the excursion - the veggie eggrolls are fun addition to chips and hot tea and chocolate.The vegetable soup at the end is a great way to wrap up the day, and the vegan nature of the soup is considerate. 

I haven't done any shark diving before so I can't really compare the companies, but Marine Dynamics has a legitimate and legitimately great thing going. They don't make the sharks attack the cage as they don't want to injure the sharks, and they've won awards in for their conservation efforts. Plus they kept me from being eaten by sharks so they're superstars in my book!

No comments:

Post a Comment