Monday, July 17, 2017

Justin in China - April/May 2017

Justin came to China for the first time, and hilarity did ensue. It was strange having to explain all the things I know, to relearn what he doesn't know, and to see the country I once called home through a fresh set of wider eyes.  

The trip is full of excitement, tempered with some guilt. I just don’t have that much vacation, and he has so much family to meet. That means skipping history-buff Beijing and passing over the bright lights of Shanghai despite the too-convenient layover to Dalian.

All he’ll see is my grandmothers’ homes, some local markets, and a few local sights. I hope he doesn’t get bored. And I really hope he doesn’t think that there’s nothing cool in China.

This is why I’m marrying the guy. His unbridled excitement and genuine enthusiasm puts it into perspective for me. “I get to see the real China,” he says, “Anyone can get on a tour bus to see Beijing." And I see it in other people's eyes. The look of envy at going so far off the beaten path you don’t even know what lies ahead, the enthusiasm of getting to live like the people, the discovery that awaits.

I have prepared for this trip like it’s my job, but no amount of preparation can prevent the inevitable flight delay or a cantankerous customs agent. Fortunately, the odds are in our favor. We have an uneventful flight as every plane takes to the skies in record time. The airplane meals of China Eastern are far more edible than expected, and they have an impressive movie collection for free.


We land in Dalian, and we stay for a couple days as a warm-up. It’s a smaller city, but it’s a well-developed shipping port boasting fresh seafood and beachy sights. 


It’s the best place to start for a China first-timer, and as we drive by this gorgeous suspension bridge


and walk along a dazzling pier, I find myself falling in love with this country and this man all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment