Saturday, July 8, 2017

Jay's Catering - Garden Grove


I think I would enjoy wedding planning a lot more if it didn't remind me of how alone I am in the world. No family to help, and my mother makes it harder. Relatives are an ocean away, and China's one-child law assures no siblings in sight. Justin has been great, and my friends have really stepped up, but it's hard. You can only ask so much of people who have their own families and responsibilities, especially when those include residency and fellowship. 

Enter Jay's Catering. At the worst time ever. We were falling all over ourselves, scrambling to find a suitable place to have a rehearsal dinner, which we had to turn into a rehearsal brunch to make it work. Well they had a brunch menu that looked even better than dinner so we made that long, LONG drive down to Garden Grove. 

After 45 minutes in the car, Jay's did not start in my good graces, and it didn't help that they were charging $35 per person for three entrees. And it's not steak. It's toast. 

Jay's may have caught be on a bad day, but they made that bad day get a whole lot better. We worked with an incredibly professional individual, and he was on top of everything. The food was ready moments after we sat down, and everything was fresh and hot. And 35 dollars a person? Not so expensive when they're giving you an entire platter to every entree. It's not just brunch with a few leftovers, it's brunch for the next three days.


We start with the straightforward; the Buttermilk Pancakes, which are perfect. Perfect shape, perfect size, perfectly fluffy, and they melt under some thick maple syrup. Unfortunately, they need to be fresh to be that good so they're not so practical unless we want to hire an on-site chef. Disappointing, but honesty very much appreciated.


Don't be fooled by the name. The Blueberry French Toast "Casserole" is far from its green beans with canned cream of mushroom soup cousins. It's more like a dense bread pudding dotted with berry-sweet. It's heavy, and it's awesome, but it's better saved for colder weather or dessert.


We decide on the Peach Melba French Toast because it's great. A summer-y stone fruit with a tangy raspberry drizzle is all we need, and with all those savory-sides, it just can't go wrong. 

For me, weddings were always something other people did. I would eat, drink and be merry, and they would eat drink and be married. Now that it's my turn, I can't say I enjoy this kind of spotlight, and after dealing with a DJ back-out 2 months before the day and an AWOL florist, I'm not exactly enjoying the experience. But with guys like Brandon and professional, skilled caterers like Jay's, at least I can feel like I'm in good hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment