Wednesday, September 27, 2023

New York Deli - Torrance

The last time I had Jewish deli, I went to Langer’s so the standards are set high. 

New York Deli did not in any way approximate those standards, and the bar set by Langer's isn't even visible from this modest little spot in Torrance, but if you're craving a good Jewish deli sandwich, you'll still be glad to have it here. 


The Hot Pastrami is a pretty good deli classic, for example. The pastrami is thinly shaved, with plenty of meat and is meaty enough, but it is a bit more on the rubbery side of soft. It's sliced paper thin to minimize the texture issue and makes for a generously thick sandwich for big, beefish bites. The Mac salad side is a fine cold side, and a pickle is a must. 


The Latkes were highly recommended by EaterLA but I wouldn't get them again. Sour cream and applesauce can't compensate for what these giant, crude potato-packs lack in seasoning.

I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend New York Deli, but I wouldn't say much against them either. I can honestly say there's no better Jewish deli in the South Bay...but there's likely no other Jewish deli in the South Bay anyway. 

No comments:

Post a Comment