Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Kazunori - Marina Del Rey

I had every intention of writing a positive review. With a simple menu of quality ingredients, a streamlined production of made-to-order hand rolls, and a no-fuss service fee to remove the stress of tipping, I always thought Kazunori was onto something. 



And they still are in some ways. Their basics are solid; the toro is good, the yellowtail is creamy, the scallops are fresh, and what’s not to like about lobster and crab? 


Just stick to the simple things. They try to make sexy-sounding specials, and I was dumb enough to order Ankimo. Is there ankimo in here? Looks like it, but that thin little stripe drowns in an even thicker stripe of “miso” sauce that I can only describe as slightly citrus snot. The creamy, bilious flavor of actual ankimo is entirely missing, as if the goal is to trick people who hate liver into eating liver, the way you try to bury kale in a kids cookie. You get a cookie, but it tastes like crap. 

I had the ankimo last, and it literally ruined my lunch. I only ate half the roll because I actually gagged after a couple of bites. I’d come to Kazunori again if someone else did, but honestly, the ankimo was so off-putting I don’t think I would choose to come back because of that alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment