Friday, September 8, 2023

Halal Guys - New York, NY

Back to my old stumbling grounds, Halal Guys on 52nd and 6th after many a drunk night. A surefire way to get sober, guaranteed to have enough left over for the hangover, this used to be the best and cheapest meal in New York. 



I...I don't know what this is. Mass-produced, lukewarm bits of beef, nothing like the freshly seared slabs of lamb-based gyro meat of my memories. He didn't even bother to sear it for me, just grabbed it out of a bin. I thought it was just the chain locations that were bad, but I don't even know what to do with this. Slather on the white sauce and suck it up, I guess. It still tastes pretty good, but it's like finding Burger King replaced your favorite In n' Out.

I know there are better carts out there now, and I know that Halal Guys has gone progressively downhill, but I couldn't leave New York without a taste of nostalgia. I regret nothing, not even the heartburn, but wow, what a terrible way to end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment